Are You Hiring?
If you are hiring new employees for the first time, you may find yourself struggling through the decision-making process. You are not alone! Most small business owners have the same struggles.
Finding the right person for the job is difficult, to say the least, but only half the battle. Determining how to stay within federal, state and local government regulations can be just as difficult and failure to comply can be very costly.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of resources on the internet that can help you make the right decisions, but who has time for all that research? There are recruiting agencies that can help you, but who has their hefty fee in the budget? If this is your dilemma, again, you are not alone. Most small business owners face the same problems.
At SmartPayroll Solutions, we understand. And to help you make good decisions, we compiled the following recruiting checklist, highlighting the most important steps and documents you will need.
- Write a job description/job post. Include all required technical and interpersonal skills.
- Obtain or develop an application form that requires the following:
- Employment history with contact information
- Education and certifications
- Criminal history
- Prepare an interview questionnaire that coincides with the application and includes behavioral interview questions.
- Get appropriate authorization forms for reference checks, drug testing, and criminal background checks.
- Write an offer letter outlining that the individual has accepted the offer for a particular position and will start work on a specific date. (Be sure you do not make promises for continued employment.)
- Develop a way to track applicants and interviews.
Yes, it is a lot of work and it would be much easier to have templates and forms ready, available and all in one place. We understand that as well! That is why our Recruiting Toolkit includes templates, forms, and helpful articles that can literally save you hours of precious time while guiding you in the right direction.